Saturday 1 September 2012

Magic Fix #5: Style on the Go? Mums the word...

My latest subscriber ;-) (actually my only subscriber!!!) commented on how much she enjoyed reading my post on styling kids. This post is on styling for grown-ups but from a 'Mom on the Go' perspective which I hope she will still find useful anyway(this is for you HG!)

Being a mom and being stylish is a combo that doesn't always mix too well. Believe me, I am nowhere stylish, but it doesn't stop me from trying! There are definite no-nos for mothers when styling oneself. In my view:
  1. You don't dress like your children! Or worse, you don't dress your children like yourself! Simple!
  2. You don't wear dangly earrings longer than say a centimetre and definitely no loop earrings if you want to keep your earlobes.
  3. Nails got to be trimmed short unless you want child services on your back. Don't ask!
Now you are a 'blank canvas mom' ready to be styled!

These are some styling ideas that I use, which have been the 'Magic Fix' for me:


  • I put on a great hat, great for bad hair days! Anyone would agree that any person who wears a hat just looks more confident with their fashion(but whether it actually looks good is entirely another story!)



Hat worn in Winter.


Same hat as above worn in Spring.This hat in felt works for autumn, winter and spring.  The black goes with all my favourite colours for those seasons. 


 A fabulous grey hat which I wore all summer long. I like grey hats for Summer.

This hat is a grey, woven hat but it worked for both summer and winter.
  • I wear a great scarf. I love scarfs more than long chains because not only does it keep your neck warm and your children are also unlikely to choke you to death. I've lived to tell the tale.

I love this lightweight muslin scarf with great little pom poms.  It keeps my neck warm, and I feel like I've got a chain on at the same time!


  • I try and wear a great belt to create an illusion of a waist!

I have quite a boyish figure, but women of all shapes and sizes should always highlight their waist more because it just looks more feminine.


  • I try to make my style chic/classic, not consumerist/commercial. This means that I shop when I need something and not when I want to forget my woes. This means I buy fewer pieces which are better quality and more expensive(but heavily discounted hopefully) and not something that says 'buy two(zillion) and get one free! This means that I don't shop for every colour that exists under the sun but purchase clothes in a few key colours that work with my personality and personal style.

Above I wore the same top but in two different ways.




  • I have a couple key pieces of jewellery (mine are earrings) that define my style that I can always keep on no matter where I go. I found out that it is better to invest in one good piece of jewellery that will last and look eternally stylish than buying dozens of cheap costume jewellery that used to just clutter my life and space.
I wore this sterling silver handcrafted Frangipani earrings by a New Zealand Maori artist every single day for a few years.
Now I wear this pearl drop that my hubby gave me, every single day!

I love wearing this antique chain that was given to me by my grandmother.


  • I like to buy fabulous shoes but a few and not Matilda Marcos style cheap and cheerful dozens and dozens of shoes. I like to have a few good quality shoes, not cheap, that go with all my outfits. I have one brown boot and one grey boot that work with black, as well as all other colours. I have a high heel boot in a natural suede for when I go out on dates with my husband. I have one black high heel and skin toned high heel, a ballet shoe and a convers. That's it!
This is me, wearing my grey boots by the Spanish brand Camper.


  • I like to have several lightweight jackets to give any outfit a lift and a more finished appearance.

I loved this pink jacket with sleeves that finished at the elbow for summer.


This grey bolero style jacket goes with any colour and outfit.

This jacket is fabulous because you could wear it with day and evening wear.
Comfy jacket made with jersey. Coco Chanel would be proud!


  • Finally, I dress to suit my personal style and body shape and not get on the 'latest trend' bandwagon.



I found that after many years of wasting time and money buying the wrong type of clothes, I was able to finally streamline my wardrobe. Just as well because as a busy mom, I have no time to fuss with dressing up!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, a personalized blog post! :) I've taken more than a couple of mental notes.

    I 100% agree with you on scarves and belts! I wear them all year long and are a simple way to jazz up an outfit. Over the last couples of years I've realized as you say, it's quality more than quantity with clothes, accessories and shoes - spend that little extra and it's well worth it. My next big investment is a good pair of boots.

    I am a complete magpie when it comes to jewelry. Anything shiny and I'm in there like swimwear. Although since I've lost weight over the past months, my hands have gotten thinner (didn't think my hands were that fat!), and none of my rings fit now. Huge sad face. I had to get my engagement ring resized this week.

    Fab post :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...